Stuffed Cabbage Soup
I’ve seen a few variants of this floating around. Mine is high in protein with savory Italian flavor. More taste! More filling!
8 oz green cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 packets Morningstar Farms burger crumbles (24 oz total)
30 oz canned diced tomatoes
30 oz canned tomato sauce
2 cups vegetable stock
1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1-2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp thyme
- Over medium high heat, saute the garlic, onion, and pepper in olive oil until the vegetables soften.
- Throw in the burger crumbles and cook until no longer frozen.
- Add the tomatoes, sauce, cabbage, spices, and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy. Plan to be in a well-ventilated area before this all digests.
If you prefer actual meat, feel free to use that instead. Of course, you’ll need to cook it thoroughly in step 2. You may also need to drain it afterward if it produces excess liquid.
In a hurry? Hate slicing cabbage? Use cole slaw mix.
Cooked rice or pasta can be added while the soup is simmering. Shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese goes well with the finished product.